Getting Ready: 5 Reasons You Need a Real Estate Agent
In a world that is becoming more and more DIY, many people who are looking to buy or sell a home are now considering doing it all by themselves. Sounds great, right? If you’re interested in buying a home, all you need to do is find a house, make an offer and close the deal, right? If you’re interested in selling a home, you know a lot of people and you’re social media savvy; you can sell it in no time, right?
Not so fast…
If only buying or selling a home was so easy. Yes, if you are able to successfully buy or sell your home by yourself, you could save some money on commissions; but, it could end up costing you much more in the long run.
Here are five reasons you still need a real estate agent:
Realtors know the market and the community
- Real estate agents have access to extensive market knowledge and can quickly compile comparable listings, so they know what reasonable listing and purchase prices are.
- Part of a real estate agent’s knowledge lies in their already established market relationships. In fact, the National Association of Realtors suggests that 82% of sales are the result of agents contacting previous clients, referrals, friends, family or other personal contacts.
- Your real estate agent’s connections can work for you in other ways, too. Because they frequently deal with area contractors, inspectors, lawyers, movers, financial lenders and title companies, real estate agents are excellent resources for many buying and selling necessities.
Real estate agents will negotiate… everything
- It goes without saying that your real estate agent will help you negotiate purchasing or selling prices. However, that is not the only thing they can help you negotiate.
- The home inspection is an integral part of the buying and selling process. Real estate agents go through many home inspections and they can help you determine what is most important, what should be fixed right away and what you may be able to let slide… whether you’re buying or selling.
- Part of helping you negotiate means help you stay objective, so you get the best deal. Your real estate agent is there to act as your go-between, so the negotiating process goes smoothly for you.
You are savvy… but, probably not this savvy.
- Part of properly utilizing the technology that’s out there is knowing how to utilize it. Yes, you may know how update your Facebook status and edit photos on Instagram, but your real estate agent knows how to sell across multiple channels. They can help stage your home and take professional photos and videos, then place them on blogs, national real estate sites such as Realtor.com, Trulia and Zillow, in social media and everywhere else!
- Because real estate agents are so savvy with the tools most used in the industry, they can make the buying and selling process a quick and easy.
They have the time you don’t.
- It is a real estate agent’s job not only to coordinate, but also to host all of your showings. They will also field calls from interested and not-as-interested buyers. Remember, you already have a work and life schedule. Real estate is an agent’s work… and sometimes their life!
- If you’re on the buying end of the spectrum, do you have the time to search every available home to find the ones that may be best suited for you? Are you willing to play phone tag to arrange your appointments?
It is a real estate agent’s job to help you!
- One of the very best reasons to use a real estate agent is that they are under contract to put your interests first. Whether you’re buying or selling, they will help you use your contract to protect you. That means they will be sitting right beside you through closing, making sure you’re satisfied before you sign on the dotted line.
- Real Estate agents have been properly trained to develop sales agreements that are compliant with national, state and local laws. Oftentimes, individuals who try to sell their homes without a professional agent do not understand the amount of legalities that go into buying and selling a home. Real estate agents are well aware of all the legal provisions and most agents have a management team to turn to if a situation arises.
- Finally, real estate agents want to give you their best, because they thrive on repeat business. They want you to refer them to everyone you know!
At Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices The Preferred Realty, our professional and experienced real estate agents are ready to help you with all your real estate needs and transactions. Find a real estate agent that best fits your needs by taking our Agent Compatibility Test.