Summer Lovin’ for Your Home: Seasonal “Must Do” Home Improvement Projects
Summer officially starts this week and if running to family picnics, neighborhood pool parties and Johnny's baseball games weren't enough for you to juggle, let's not forget those ever-so-necessary summer home projects. You know, those things you must do every summer, like:
- Clean out the gutters
- Caulk sidewalk and other exterior cracks
- Scrub the deck and outdoor furniture
This year, consider going beyond the basics and giving your “must-do” summer list a twist! Here are a few ways you can give your home a little summer lovin’ – both indoors and outside:
- Use Your Head: Well, headboard that is. Giving an old headboard a new coat of paint or even a texture is a great way to add instant style and a pop of color to any bedroom. What’s even better? You can do it yourself in a day and for very little cost!
- Summerize Your Home, Subtly: Add splashes of bright neon colors throughout your typically neutral home. How? Pick up a few brightly-colored books, a piece of funky art or even something you find on vacation to add some life to your place.
- Binge on Bins: Whether you find cute plastic bins at IKEA or metal buckets at your local hardware store, bins are so “in” for summer – and, they’re a perfect way to hide, er store, your kids’ toys, husband’s tools or, yes, even your makeup – in a very trendy way.
- Put the Cart Before the Card: Just because you saw an incredible rustic table at Restoration Hardware doesn’t mean you have to break the bank to buy it. Make your own at home. You’ll save a ton and imagine how proud you’ll be to show off your hard work!
- Be Your Own Farmer: You already know that going green and eating organic is “in,” so why not grow your own fruits and veggies? Don’t think you need a huge back yard to do it, either. A little extra green in your lawn, in your diet – and in your pocket - can’t hurt!
- Light Up Your Life: Or just your sidewalks, stonewalls and other landscape features. Adding landscape lighting can not only increase your home’s curb appeal, it can also make you feel a little safer.
- Don’t Shudder - Shutter: Speaking of curb appeal, some brightly-colored shutters can give your neutral home exterior a little spark. You’ll be even more excited to know this project is doable in just a weekend’s time.
- Cook Up Something Big: You know those immaculate outdoor kitchens you see on HGTV? Maybe this summer is the year to go after that project! Remember, it’s OK to start small and add on each year.
As if summer wasn’t busy enough! Good luck with your home improvement projects!