Facebook Share Twitter Share Google+ Share Linkedin Share Pinterest Share
Technology is a Beautiful Thing - 10 Helpful Home Decorating Apps

Technology is a Beautiful Thing - 10 Helpful Home Decorating Apps

There’s a little over a month left in the summer outdoor entertaining season, but you may already be focusing your attention on some indoor home projects that you would like to complete this fall and winter. As you’re gearing up for home renovations, upgrades or other redecorating projects, take a little comfort in knowing that technology is on your side.

Whether you plan to go the DIY route or hire a professional, there are many new apps that can assist with your home decorating plans. We’ve scoped out 10 home decorating apps that are sure to get any home project off to a great start!

1. SnapShop – If you’re a visual person, home decorating can cause some anxiety because it can be hard to envision how that perfect couch or armoire that you saw in a store will fit in your own space. Enter SnapShop, the free iPad and iPhone app that allows users to upload an image of their space and drop in actual furniture images from various retailers.

2. Autodesk Homestyler – Talk about a one-stop app for home décor! Similar to SnapShop, Autodesk Homestyler lets users upload an image of their desired reno space, then place images of furniture and other fixtures into the room. They’ve even got additional photos for inspiration and design professionals on hand to offer their input. Not only does Autodesk Homestyler have it all, it’s also free for Android, iPhone and iPad users!

3. Photo Measure Lite – When you’re traveling to hardware or furniture stores to find supplies for your home décor project, it can be difficult to keep track of your room measurements. That’s why the creators of Photo Measure Lite have created a free app that lets users take a picture of their reno space, then add in all needed measurements.

4. Color911 – Need the perfect color scheme? Call er… download 911! Color911 that is! The color specialist behind the app has created more than 80 color schemes for home decorators to choose from; but, users can also snap a photo and create their own scheme! Color911 is an iPad and iPhone app that is definitely worth its $5 cost.

5. Zillow Digs – Zillow has created an app that allows users to organize and personalize their décor inspiration by inputting their own style preferences. The free iPad and iPhone app lets users browse images that cater to their space, color and style preferences. Plus, the Zillow Digs app features a cost estimator for two of the most highly renovated areas in a home, the kitchen and bathroom!

6. RedLaser – So, you know that you’ll need new blinds and curtains for your home decorating project, but don’t know where you can find the best price? Download RedLaser, a free app that will do your comparison shopping for you. All you’ve got to do is scan the barcode of an item that you’d like to purchase and RedLaser will list stores that carry the item, along with their price and customer reviews.

7. Chairish – Consignment shopping has gone mobile! Whether you’d like to buy or sell home décor or do both, Chairish is a one-stop shop for you! This free iPhone app lets sellers list their items (after Chairish approves) and sellers keep 80% of the profits. The other 20% may go toward shipping and return costs, because Chairish takes care of those!

8. Snapguide – Once you’re ready to get to work, DIYers, Snapguide is the app for you! This intuitive, free app can help with everything from baking the perfect cake to upholstering a chair! Users can either share their knowledge or explore countless step-by-step how-to guides that other users have shared. Snapguide is free for Apple devices.

9. iHandy Level – From the most intense home decorating projects to hanging up some family photos, iHandy Level is a free app that lets users keep their work straight without needing to carry a cumbersome level through their home. iHandy Level is easy to calibrate and use; plus, it ensures no more crooked pictures or artwork on your walls!

10. Home Snap - If your home reno project goes awry and you decide to opt for a total upgrade and go house hunting, Home Snap is a free Apple app that lets users snap a photo of a home as they drive by. The app then lists the home’s worth, its school district and any other nearby comparable homes. Of course, the app can only do so much. If you’d like to check out available homes, contact an experienced Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices The Preferred Realty real estate agent!